It’s not uncommon for people to start from a shared hosting. I did! I used 1freehosting for quite a while until it couldn’t handle my stuff anymore. I mean, not the traffic, just the overall things that I want to do (and deploy).
This week, I officially said goodbye to 1freehosting. (Please don’t judge me). Thnks fr th Mmrs! Thanks for being “free”. I know I can’t complain much about the service because it’s free :P. With that I would like to greet my new home…
Hello DigitalOcean! Whaddup?
So it was my first time setting up things from ground up. At work we use AWS, and my senior sets up (almost) everything for me so I don’t have experience with these stuff. And yup, I know that AWS doesn’t compete in the same space as DO.
Anyway, so I followed A LOT OF TUTORIALS for this thing to work. It wasn’t a walk in the park but I (would like to) believe that I’ve learned a lot from the experience. And, I’m quite sure some people got fed up with me asking them every once in a while. (Heh. Sorry!)
In a nutshell, what I really did are the following:
- Create your Droplet! Mine’s specs: 512MB Ram, 20GB SSD Disk, Ubuntu 14.04 x64
- Initial server setup (https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/initial-server-setup-with-ubuntu-12-04) – After creating your first Droplet in DO you have a fresh new server but you still have things to do. A LOT OF THINGS!
- Essential security for Linux servers by Bryan Kennedy (Link: http://plusbryan.com/my-first-5-minutes-on-a-server-or-essential-security-for-linux-servers)
- Installing LEMP stack (https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-wordpress-with-nginx-on-ubuntu-12-04)
- Set up WordPress (https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-wordpress-with-nginx-on-ubuntu-12-04)
- Migrating my current WP site – This one has a bit of a twist because I came from Apache and I installed NGINX for fun.
Other stuff like creating subdomains, setting up bare repos for my codes etc.
It looks very simple but honestly it’s quite daunting especially for an amateur person like me! 😛 It was fun though. I’m almost done. ALMOST.
My only issue now is setting up a mail server. I was already done installing Postfix but I can’t seem to forward all my messages to my Gmail yet so… That’s still on my “to-do” list.
That being said, firstname.lastname@example.org is not yet awesome because it’s not available at the moment. Don’t email me there for now. I don’t want to check my /var/mail/katpadi !!!
DigitalOcean’s Referral Program
By the way, DO has a referral program. I’d get $25 in commission for every referred friend that totals $25 in billings. Click it! 😛